On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 6:15 PM Joao Silva <joao1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a eeepc laptop originally came with windows xp and i switched to
> windows 10 N, but sadly is too slow... turtle mode.

Win10 needs 4GB RAM *minimum*.  The sweet spot is 6GB.  No surprise
performance was poor.

> I was thinking of installing Linux Xubuntu for it's low resources.

I did that on an ancient notebook that had a whopping *256MB* RAM.
Xubuntu would install, but performance left a lot to be desired.
Posters on the Ubuntu list said Ubuntu had a steadily increasing idea
of what "low end" was, and that too much Gnome had crept into XFCE.
What I wound up doing was following their suggestions and installing
from the Linux Minimal CD.  That gave me a working command line Linux
installation, with networking and video.  From there I could install
apt-get, and DL specific packages.  I used Lxde as the lowest resource
GUI desktop, and Lxde brought along Xorg.  I installed to an ext4 file
system.  The result actually ran, though it wasn't anything you would
call fast.

The ancient notebook came to me with WinXP SP2.  XP wants 512MB
RAM minimum.  I reformatted, repartitioned, installed Win2K Pro (which
would sort of run in 256MB RAM,) two flavors of Linux, and FreeDOS,
multi booting under Grub2. Win2K was on an NTFS slice, Linux was on
ext4, and FreeDOS was on FAT32.  It was mostly an experiment to see
what performance I could wring out of ancient hardware *without*
throwing money at it.  I haven't booted it in a long time.

> A friend of my IT guy "is nagging" me a year now to get an ssd, so i was
> thinking get one ssd 240, stick it to eeepc and install freedos.

You don't even need 240.  I got a 120GB budget SSD from my preferred
retailer for $20 US.  The intended use is in another old notebook
device replacing the HD.

> My issues are:
>
> 1 - Will freedos work well with atom cpu

Sure.  The Atom CPU is an Intel x86 design, and FreeDOS will run on
any of them.  (Getting it to *boot* is another matter unrelated to the
CPU.)

> 2 - Can freedos detect 2Gb of ram

I believe so, but for FreeDOS, how much do you *care*?

FreeDOS will use 640K as user RAM where it and your programs will load
and run.  With EMS/XMS, you may be able to use RAM beyond 1MB for
things like disk cache and RAMdisk.

> The idea is to carry the eeepc with me to play and to also to show my 7 year
> old girlfriend nephew the games I played back in 1988 and forward.

I'd install a low resource requirement version of Linux on ext4, carve
out a separate FAT partition for FreeDOS, and multi-boot.

I wouldn't try to make FreeDOS the primary OS.
______
Dennis