On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 5:31 PM Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> dmccunney composed on 2021-03-10 16:56 (UTC-0500):
>
> >> dmccunney composed on 2021-03-09 17:35 (UTC-0500):

> >> What is that, a pair of 2GB and a pair of 8GB?
>
> > Nope.  It has four DRAM slots, and came with 16GB as four 4GB sticks
> > in those slots.  I replaced a 4GB stick with a 8GB stick to bring it
> > to 20.

> Odds are that 32GB capable board features dual channel RAM.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture

Possible.

> IME when RAM is not used in matched pairs in correct slots in a dual channel
> board, RAM speed (memtest86) is cut by nearly half. Did you test RAM speed
> before
> and after the change?

No.  I simply made sure I had RAM that matched the specs of the other
sticks.  The only difference was that one stick is 8GB instead of
four. I was *not* using RAM of different speeds, and no mismatch was
involved..

I saw *no* negative performance impact, and would have been startled if I did.

> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
______
Dennis