On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 5:05 PM Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> dmccunney composed on 2021-03-11 09:51 (UTC-0500):
>
> >> IME when RAM is not used in matched pairs in correct slots in a dual
> >> channel
> >> board, RAM speed (memtest86) is cut by nearly half. Did you test RAM speed
> >> before
> >> and after the change?
>
> > No.  I simply made sure I had RAM that matched the specs of the other
> > sticks.  The only difference was that one stick is 8GB instead of
> > four. I was *not* using RAM of different speeds, and no mismatch was
> > involved..
>
> > I saw *no* negative performance impact, and would have been startled if I
> > did.
>
> By not matching size of pairs, you disable dual channel. You should run
> memtest86
> with and without the 4G and 8G sticks to see the difference in print on your
> screen.

NO.

The RAM here is all DDR4, same speed, and the only difference is one
stick is 8GB.  (I may add another 8GB sick at some point, but it won't
be soon.)

When I said I *saw* no performance difference I meant exactly that.

I have a simple attitude about stuff like this: if I cannot*perceive*
the difference in normal use, I don\t *care*. I have better things to
do with the time than spend it running MEMTEST to detect a performance
difference I won't *notice* in use.

My needs are modest, I don't push the envelope on my system, and what
I have is actually overkill for what I  do. My concern is a stable
system that Just Works, and I have one.

I appreciate your concern, but the only reason I ever ran MEMTEST was
if I had a memory fault, and the last time was years back..

> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
______
Dennis