Ditch the memory stick even if you can do this from inside DOSBOX
directly on top of Linux. It's worth a shot even if you have to swap
in MS-DOS 6.22 temporarily or Windows 98SE DOS prompt temporarily in
DOSBOX. If you can do this from within DOSBOX, you don't have to go
get any media you may not already have and you avoid burning a CD-R as
well.

Please ignore Liam, he obviously has an issue with me. If you need an
equivalent to Windows XP that is completely legal to use but not yet a
Beta, ReactOS is having memory management problems still, you may need
a ReactOS LiveCD ISO image and you probably do NOT need to burn the
ISO to a CD at all. You can use a USB flash drive or you can
absolutely use a CD-R, if you want to. The ReactOS web site has
information on how to put an image on either a CD-R or a Flash drive.

You may need a program called Rufus for a Windows environment to put a
ReactOS live CD image on a flash drive. I also recommend
Deepburner1.exe if you need it, which is free as long as you don't use
the pro version. For that matter, use your favorite open source
burning program on the Linux system you have on that laptop and you
definitely want to use the burner in that laptop so that the CD reads
in that laptop.

http://www.reactos.org

You probably don't need anything other than a FreeDOS 1.0 boot disk
image to get your update done, that much is true. I wouldn't go that
old and I wouldn't rule out doing this from DOSBOX directly on top of
Linux either. This old DELL has a real BIOS, so I would highly suspect
that you can update it from inside DOSBOX runing on top of Linux. I
recommend that you try FreeDOS 1.1 or FreeDOS 1.2 first in DOSBOX.

As far as can you emulate on this latop without dedicated emulation
hardware, you can use VMWARE workstation version 5 or earlier. You
might be able to use QEMU. Maybe Bochs will work. Note that you should
be able to grab a VMWARE image from ReactOS.org saving you from
needing to have a VMWARE workstation license for an ancient version of
VMWARE which costs money. I am overly dependent on VirtualBox myself.