On 7/21/2023 1:51 PM, Jay F. Shachter via Freedos-user wrote:
Esteemed Colleagues:
A little bit less formal might be more appropriate...
slice, Microsoft Windows was still able to boot, and then I recreated
the third primary slice, and I installed FreeDOS onto it.  I had to
change its 8-bit code from 7 to 12; when I left it at 7, FreeDOS
refused to install itself there.  When I changed it to 12, FreeDOS
called it D: and it was then willing to install itself there.

Well, you need to know what you are doing at this point. A partion ID of 7 (07h) simple can't work, as that would indicate a NTFS partition, that is a file system that DOS (any DOS) just doesn't know anything about...

An ID of 12 (0Ch) indicates a FAT32 partition with LBA addressing, and this is something that FreeDOS indeed is able to understand

I tried to do the same thing with a logical slice of disk but FreeDOS
failed to see it.  If it is possible to install FreeDOS onto a logical
slice of disk, inside of the extended slice, the technique for doing
so is unknown, or, at least, unknown by me.

DOS can not be installed on a logical partition, it has to be a primary partition.

Ralf