Hi Jay!

I tried to do the same thing with a logical slice of disk but FreeDOS
failed to see it.  If it is possible to install FreeDOS onto a logical
slice of disk, inside of the extended slice, the technique for doing
so is unknown, or, at least, unknown by me.

DOS can not be installed on a logical partition, it has to be a primary partition.

The problem is that the boot sector of a logical partition contains, as
far as I remember, relative instead of absolute position information.

So the boot sector code / program will fail to find the DOS kernel if
booting from a logical partition. You will either have to use a primary
partition, manually mess around with the boot sector without breaking
other aspects of it, or use some type of boot manager which can load
the kernel in some other way. You could even use a virtual floppy image
with the help of GRUB or LILO and MEMDISK, I guess. FreeDOS in general
has no problems with C: being a non-primay partition as far as I know,
and it supports fdconfig.sys or config.sys pointing to the bulk of the
DOS system on other drives than C: However:

If you cannot load the kernel, DOS will be a lot less useful and at
least your fdconfig.sys and some type of driver which makes it able
to access other drives also have to be on a FAT formatted C: drive.

In theory, you could load a virtual boot floppy with NTFS drivers,
kernel and config sys and then install the rest of FreeDOS even on
a NTFS drive, but that would involve significant manual trickery.

Long story short, you could try the virtual boot floppy method and
I recommend that your DOS drive is FAT, but I think a LOGICAL FAT
partition could be good enough AFTER you boot from virtual floppy.

Regards, Eric