On Sun, 6 Aug 2023 at 15:37, Ralf Quint via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> FreeDOS, like any DOS, works only in text mode, so you can't just select any
> graphics mode on the console.

I have a copy of a very handy program from the early 1990s called
Laptop UltraView.

It was designed for laptops in the era when they had VGA
passive-matrix LCDs: 648*480 in maybe 16 colours -- sometimes 256 if
you were lucky.

VGA text mode is, I think, 640*400.

LT/UV reset the DOS console into 640*480 and told DOS it was 80*25
mode, and could redefine the fonts in software. It then quit: it was
not resident, so took no RAM. The result was bolder clearer text that
was easier to read.

It also defined a bunch of soft "text" screen modes, so you could tell
DOS it had a 100x30 console, or anything that fit neatly into VGA
graphics mode. Some very hi-res "text" modes with small characters
were possible. My ZX Spectrum could just about display 64 columns of
text in its 256*192 pixels, in a 4x8 character font. VGA can do about
160x50 text in that sort of resolution, but it is not good for your
eyes.

AIR LT/UV did not understand any VESA modes so it can't use 800*600 or
1024*768 at all. Pity.

Sadly my copy is in another country right now. I can't upload it
anywhere. But it was possible, and it was a very small simple program
-- IIRC it shipped on one 720 kB floppy. It would probably be quite
easy to clone and reimplement.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com