-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Robert
Bess
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 5:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Configuring to use shadow passwords

I have freeRadius 0.4 on Linux-Mandrake 8.1

Radius seems to be running.  When I run radtest with a username that
exists in the /etc/raddb/users file it works if I specify a password.

i.e.     bob  Password = "bob"

but not if I try to use a real system user.

i.e.     bob  Auth-Type = Unix

When I do that radtest says: Access-Reject packet from host .

I was wondering if the problem is with the /etc/shadow file.  I
uncommented the line in radius.conf where it specifies my shadow file is
in /etc/shadow and I have tried setting radiusd to run with group name
"shadow" in the radius.conf file.

Is there something special I need to do when compiling radius to let it
know I use shadow passwords?

Is there any other reason my server might be rejecting the users in my
system password file?

Thanks for any help.
        :"

-