Hi All,

We recently spent several days trying to track down that problem.

We are running Debian 2.2 potato (stable) which quite a few packages pulled
from woody (testing), w/ shadow passwords.

As per the configuration file, we uncommented the:

# shadow = /etc/shadow

line in the configuration file, which proved to be our mistake. We tried
just about everything else we could to get it working.

Unfortunately I don't have copies of the output from radiusd -X and radtest,
and the server is now live.

However, radtest was saying "Access-Reject packet", and radiusd -X mentioned
something about group authentication and then rlm_unix: invalid something.

The problem we were experiencing was the authentication against accounts in
/etc/passwd|/etc/shadow were not working.

We had other accounts where the password was stored in the users file, and
they were working fine.

Andrew Tait
System Administrator
Country NetLink Pty, Ltd
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.cnl.com.au
30 Bank St Cobram, VIC 3644, Australia
Ph: +61 (03) 58 711 000
Fax: +61 (03) 58 711 874

"It's the smell! If there is such a thing." Agent Smith - The Matrix