Greetings,

> What exactly is it that you want to do? Make Extent work better, or
> switch to
> freeradius.

I want to make it easy for small dailup based ISPs to bill DSL
customers.  Most small ISPs use billing systems based on stop starts, so
it would be good for DSL wholesalers to be able to generate simple
radius packets for smaller ISPs.

> It sounds like freeradius is doing exactly what it is
> configured
> to do by default, and that is to UPDATE and exisiting session
> record when it
> recieves a ALIVE packet, NOT add a new record. I suggest you have a
> good read
> of sql.conf (or mysql.conf of whatever) and understand the queries
> that are
> being executed at different stages.
> I myself am using Freeradius with a large VoIP setup, and I found
> that the
> default queries were useless to me as they would kill the database.
> switched all queries to INSERTS, set different types of records to
> go to
> different tables, and and threw away most of the default fields
> that were
> being stored and replaced them with Cisco VoIP specific attributes
> (VSAs).
> You should not have to use a cron script to parse your detail
> files. Just
> modify the freeradius queries so it stores the information that you
> want.

Different tables for different types of session?  or was that for load
reasons?  Perhaps different tables for different realms?

> I also found that MySQL simply could not handle the load I was
> throwing at it,
> so I switched to Postgres and have been happy ever since. The fact
> that
> postgres can do sub selects and views, makes it much more usefull
> if you have
> split your radacct table up into multiple tables too.
> Not to mention that I use the start and stop times as reported by
> the ciscos
> instead of having freeradius timestamp the records, which is much
> more
> accurate, and postgres supports cisco timestamp format while mysql
> does not.

Very intersting.  Thanks.  Also thanks to Kostas Kalevras for his
comment on MySQL.  Looks like Postgres could be the go for lots of reasons.

Which part of freeradius creates the timestamps?

thanks,

Dave