Hi Tim,
First download netcdf 3.5 and install it. I think there is an rpm for it
for some distributions on www.rpmfind.net. That makes it easier because
you will not have to compile it (not that there is anything wrong with
compiling!). Compile the latest version of MNI tools. Usually the
trickiest part is getting the MNI configure to find netcdf. You can tell
it where to find netcdf stuff in the configure command (check the
INSTALL or README files). Then make, make test, make install (or
something close to that). You need to intall the MNI average305. You can
download this from their site and installation was straightforward.

If all is well after that, you let freesurfer know where everything is.
I do this by making edits to my .cshrc. Mine looks like this:
setenv MINC_BIN_DIR /usr/pubsw/packages/mni/current/bin
setenv MINC_LIB_DIR /usr/pubsw/packages/mni/current/lib
setenv FREESURFER_HOME /home/freesurfer/freesurfer_alpha
setenv CSURF_DIR /home/freesurfer/freesurfer_alpha
setenv MINC_DIR /homes/nmrnew/home/inverse/minc

#afni for freesurfer
setenv AFNI_DIR /home/freesurfer/freesurfer_alpha/afni
setenv NO_FSFAST
setenv SUBJECTS_DIR /home/brian/FREESURFER_data
setenv FSLDIR /apps/fsl

When you source the Free*Env.csh it will not override the variables set
in your .cshrc.

I can't remember why my installation of minc is in the above directory
structure. I think I read somewhere that freesurfer likes that location,
but maybe not. If you set your environment variables, you should be
fine.

When you are finished test it all out by:

1) by converting a COR volume to mnc format and running mritotal
yourinput.mnc talairach.xfm (this needs the MNI binaries and average305
to work)

2) mri_motion_correct2 -o . -i 001 -i 002 -i 003 (motion correcting and
averaging-this does a super job for automated registration)

or

mri_motion_correct -o . -i 001 -i 002 -i 003 (depending on your version)

If it all works, then freesurfer could find your MNI tools.

Good luck.

brian