Hi Darren,

that's pretty much the way I generated the lh and rh templates we use.
There's a binary named mris_make_template,which you probably have, that
will take a bunch of surface models and construct a template (.tif) from
them. You'll have to name the individual surface lh or rh, since it's
expecting a hemisphere. The mris_register binary is actually smart enough
to change it's default parameters if the target is from a single surface
(it uses a more rigid morph).

Good luck,
Bruce