On Friday, 18 August 2023 at 22:27:26 BST, Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Are we getting into a situation where ttfautohint is hinting for the
> > (limited) "good enough" light hinting model of recent freetype?

> It's not clear what you are actually asking.  ttfautohint is an
> incarnation of FreeType's auto-hinter, translated into TrueType
> bytecode, more or less.  This is not related to interpreting bytecode.
But does it contain hidden assumptions about how bytecodes are interpreted (by
specific renderer, and specific version of now-simplified renderer )?

> Well, the Infinality stuff was basically unmaintained; it essentially
> consisted of a large bunch of exceptions for some special fonts.
> Alexei and I agree that we no longer need this.  There was not a
> single voice objecting to its removal, by the way...

I agree there is no general usage for it. For the purpose of fontval's backend,
until a genuine Microsoft backend happens (if ever), I suspect that the
infinality stuff behaves  closer to Microsoft renderer towards Microsoft hinted
fonts. So if the goal is not "good enough hinting" but "matching Microsoft
behavior", it has to stay. So FWIW, I am just mentioning that I will carry a
reverse diff in future version of Fontval, if another release ever happens...