On 19.08.23 14:27, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
And dropping support, and/or compatibility/ awareness of intended
usages of outcome in other *cough* microsoft *cough* hinting
models?
Well, the Infinality stuff was basically unmaintained; it
essentially consisted of a large bunch of exceptions for some
special fonts.  Alexei and I agree that we no longer need this.
There was not a single voice objecting to its removal, by the
way...
Great!

Given that freetype still somehow has the role of a free software
reference interpretation of the loose MS instructed gridfit
description, it can only be welcomed if freetype-specifics get out
of that.
What exactly do you mean with 'freetype-specifics'?  The Infinality
patch aimed to implement v38 of the MS TrueType interpreter as close
as possible, and for the supported fonts it worked quite well.

     Werner

But the attempt to mimic MS rasterizer behavior is already a freetype specific.

Recall that in 2023, ttfont designers (or their software at least) are still forced to talk "VM bytecode" to tell about scale dependet point updates, even if they do not target MS rasterizer at all.

Gruss

Jan Bruns