After a long and evil fight with this utterly crap audio chipset (if your
motherboard comes with ac97 audio, do everything you can to get something
else!)  I am finally able to record clean audio from it.

You need the latest ALSA 1.0.0 pre3 or higher, the fixes they put in this
release makes a huge difference and removes some of the clicking that was
present.

you also need to set your bitrate to 48000. No matter what every other
webpage and even the ALSA documentation says, you MUST record at 48000.
Alsa will try to downconvert/upconvert for you but the ac97 compatable
chipsets, specifically the i810 are so poorly designed that they can only
handle that one bitrate only without introducing added noise.

Moral of the story?  Intel makes crappy audio chipsets and ac97 is something
you need to be sure to avoid at all costs.

unfortunately the mini ITX boards and the mini ATX boards that I currently
use come only with this extremely low quality audio on board...