To play pls files you have to modify lines 141-143 in
"freevo-1.8.3/lib/python2.5/site-packages/freevo/audio/plugins/mplayer.py":

[original]
        if item.network_play:
            if str(ext) in ('.m3u', '.pls', '.asx'):
                is_playlist = True

[modified]

#        if item.network_play:
         if str(ext) in ('.m3u', '.pls', '.asx'):
            is_playlist = True

As you can see in the bug report, Duncan thinks that this modification may
break something else. But I don't know enough freevo/python to write another
audio plugin, as Duncan suggest. I'm used to modify manually this lines in
every release since 1.7.x, and I have no problems with the plugins I use
(not many, at least for audio, though)

Regards,

Eduardo