I've been following math software for quite a while, mainly the free
or open source packages.  Gnuplot naturally is one of the standards,
surviving ages and always being handy.  Ditto for R, the statistics
package .. bound to be around forever, I hope.  Octave, a matlab
based system, has just released its latest, version 2.9.7.

Well, every now and again I go visit all these sites to see what's
up.  A somewhat obscure site/package I follow is "J", an APL
descendent which takes a symbolic-linguistic approach to math
software.  It is very, very terse and has some interesting parsing
stunts that promote very concise composition of functions.  A bit
odd, just as APL was, but no longer requires special keyboards.  It
remains matrix oriented although its syntax definitely gets close to
math in terms of brevity.

Well, I see they've spiffed up their site, so I hope that means more
activity.
   http://www.jsoftware.com/
Roger Hui, who wrote J with Ken, and Eric Iverson, Ken's son, are
active on the site.  Ken passed away a few years ago.  JSoftware is a
consultancy which uses J and thus helps pay to have it remain freely
available.

Anyway, just wanted to pass on the news that the J community is
becoming more active and well established.  I'd LOVE it if someone
truly got their mind around J and could help the rest of us do the
same!  Pretty steep learning curve.

     -- Owen

Owen Densmore
http://backspaces.net - http://redfish.com - http://friam.org