Owen,

   I have given up on desktops at work and at home.

   First, I've used a succession of laptops as my only computer for
about five years at work.  I've had a desktop available for most of that
time, but never had the simultaneous time and motivation to configure
the desktop and get it to sync nicely with the laptop.  My goal was to
have one set of data that is my work that would be available to both
desktop and laptop.  Of course, my requirements are different from yours
- I travel a lot and need my "stuff" to be with me and I frequently use
my laptop as an "attack" system when doing live discovery or assessment.
  I just upgraded my old Mac dual-G4 desktop (which died) to a 17"
MacBook.  I will use that as my primary system and my old 17" G4 as my
secondary and not have a desktop.

   At home, I still have a desktop, but I haven't powered it up in
months.  I have a monster desktop replacement laptop that I use instead.
  I would have to upgrade the motherboard, GPU, and disk on the old
desktop to get it up to the performance level of the laptop.

   I find that as I get older, I enjoy fiddling with hardware and even
software less and less.  I want the computers to work so that I can get
on with my work (or fun).

--
Ray Parks                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IDART Project Lead          Voice:505-844-4024