I've got three machines that I use regularly for work: a laptop and a desktop in the office and a desktop at home.  I don't need to worry about synching my email, contacts or calendar as I use Gmail for all those; I keep the projects I'm working on synched up by using MS's SyncToy and an external 60GB drive I carry around with me (hardly weighs anything - it gets its power off the USB port).

I also use a fourth machine (tiny & old laptop) as a dumb terminal onto my desktop via MS Remote Desktop. It means I can hang out on the deck and still monitor any processor intensive runs I've got going.