About Ruby:

>It's flexible like Perl, painstakingly clear like Python (good
> Python), and much more fluid than Java.

So we got 3 qualities, flexibility ( for those who can stand on their
own heads, ow),
clarity (both goodoldfashioned and newandimproved)
and fluidity.  What you mean by fluidity's got me somewhat baffled, at
least for language
comparisons.  Could you say more?

 >(And learn Haskell and OCaml.)

Haskell looks interesting, but the community's relatively small.  Any
suggestions for best
way to go about learning it?  What would we *use* it for?  Might be fun
in any case.

As for OCaml, Lisp and playing with type theories, this might be amusing:
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2006/08/categorifying_cccs_seeing_comp.html
and yes, that's a MathML-enabled blog.

Carl