Hi John, welcome to the warm pile of puppies!

Just curious: is there a book or paper(s) you'd recommend for folks
interested in category theory?  Maybe two, considering the FRIAM
audience: one for folks with a good undergrad math background, and one
for generalists?

I ask because several conversations here have mentioned it and I've
yet to hear a conversation that could not have simply used basic
"modern algebraic" notions of sets and operations on them: groups,
rings, fields, integer domains, and so on.

    -- Owen