John,

How do you feel about Goldblatt's book on Topoi? I've been working
through it slooowly and like it so far, but I'm not sure whether it is
leaving important things out. In particular, if you need something to
understand the exposition, say, sheaves, then he goes back and tells you
just enough about sheaves instead of referring you elsewhere.

Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Topoi-Categorial-Analysis-Logic-Mathematics/dp/0486450260/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218653851&sr=8-2

When I try to talk to non-math-centric folks about Category Theory, I
usually start off with Derek Wise's "Stuff with Structure, having
certain Properties" based explanation, but usually people think its such
an advanced topic that such a starting point couldn't possibly be that
straightforward. If they do buy into that, however, you can give them a
feel for n-Cats and natural transformations. At that point they start
thinking what they could do with them and there's (maybe) enough
motivation to backfill in with the formal definitions. It's harder I
think to go with the formal stuff first (I know it is for me) if there
isn't much formal math background to relate to.

I think category theory (particularly for us as it relates to
complexity) represents a cultural change and so the initial explanations
we seek have to resonate broadly at that level if we are going to set a
foundation for not fooling ourselves (and our clients) when things get
more formal.

And I always liked the idea of using "stuff" as a technical term.

Carl