I believe that under optimal conditions (from the perspective of the garbage
collecting language) a benchmark can be contrived that equals malloc.  I
also believe that the converse is true, especially for large applications.
I cannot count the times I have had to reboot a LISP machine or kill a Java
app because they had ground themselves into the ground attempting a GC.

I suspect, without offering any evidence to support my suspicions that most
"real world" applications, i.e. large to the bursting point of the hosts'
memory and processing power, will favor malloc over GC.

--Doug

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Marcus G. Daniels <mar...@snoutfarm.com>wrote:

> Stephen Guerin wrote:
>
>> Ah, by control over its own execution, I meant "execution" as thread of
>> computation.
>>
> Yeah, I realize the word was overloaded..  See my other e-mail on not being
> able to predictably get resources.  (Scheduling a thread is does not imply
> actually commencing execution.)
>
> Here I was just getting Doug to confront his prejudice about garbage
> collectors.  ;-)
>
>> I suspect we might adopt more of an cellular apotosis model <
>> http://evolutionofcomputing.org/Multicellular/Apoptosis.html> where
>> agents remove themselves unless they constantly receieve a
>> keep-alive-message from other agents. There's also the idea that there
>> should be a mechanism where agents will migrate away from the edge of the
>> network where users are to lower cost, high latency parts of the network
>> when they are less in demand - a kind of cold storage.
>>
> Cool.  I think biological approaches to resilience and system optimization
> are intriguing..
>
> Marcus

Doug Roberts
drobe...@rti.org