Having been a Java hacker on a multimillion dollar "Y2K remediation" project for two years from 1997-1999, I've often wondered how much of the whole thing was hyperbole, and how much was real. According to Wikipedia's article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y2K), about $300 billion US was spent worldwide on the effort. Just as with H1N1, the dire predictions never materialized, but it is far from clear whether or not this was becasue of the effort and capital spent. Same with the massive military spending in the 1980s: did the Soviet Union fall because of it, or simply because some critical mass of something had been reached?

Sounds like some good candidates for a bit of Agent Based Modeling, but then <cynicism>history seems much harder to model than to rewrite</ cynicism >.

;; Gary