Doug / Robert,
In at least minor defense of the original poster (and my reply):

We all know that people are sick, and we DO know that some people have died.
However, the fall out thus far is not in proportion to the current level of
panic or rhetoric involved, and no where near the level of panic or rhetoric
that dominated the airwaves for a long time after the initial outbreaks. I
know, because my quaint suburban street doesn't look anything like the end of a
George Romero movie. While the problem still might escalate, a deadly mutation
might occur, etc., many of us on the sidelines are still trying to figure out
what the current fuss is about.

Frankly, in the last two months I have sat in many meetings and read many memos
where people describe the (somewhat more rational) current estimates of the
"imminent dangers". All the advice we are being given is good advice, but it
would be good advice in ANY year. The current estimates, sounds to me a lot
like normal flu season. Normal flu season is, on a national level, a major
concern, as lots of people do die every year... but it's about the same every
year, and hence on some level very mundane. The only noticeable difference, as
presented, is the demographic likely to be effected. That difference, at least
somewhat, justifies increased concern on a college campus. However, it still
doesn't seem to warrant quarantine beds (14 on standby), and the other extreme
measures we are talking about (e.g., discussion of shutting down the entire
campus).

So, we are not idiots. We are just making comment / inquiry regarding a strange
cultural phenomenon.

Eric

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 09:17 PM, Douglas Roberts <d...@parrot-farm.net> wrote:

>I stand duly chastened, Robert.
>

>>On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Robert Holmes <<#>> wrote:
>You're suggesting that we read real, authoritative reports? That's not really
in the spirit of this list Doug...

>-- R
>

>>On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Douglas Roberts <<#>> wrote:
>

>>Well, if you really are interested in tracking down all of those mythical
H1N1 deaths, here's a good starting point:

><http://portaldev.rti.org/midas-h1n1/reports/>

>--
>Doug Roberts
><#>