On Nov 25, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Nicholas Thompson wrote:
<snip>
Nobody has a hundred friends, so the word, friend, is being extended in a creepy Orwellian way to include strangers.

I disagree. I was surprised to find just how many work, family, school, church, complexity, .. friends I *do* have.

I just started facebook a few days ago, and I'm finding a huge number of non-stranger, non-virtual acquaintances I have. I'm trying to keep the list "quality" high .. i.e. only include folks who I really do know and enjoy being in touch with.

I'll easily top 200. So would anyone I think who's got diverse contexts mentioned above. No strangers. And not including everyone I do know just to keep the list tight.

   -- Owen