Glen, Eric,

This is what I get for working backwards through my email messages.

We are all in agreement, here.  The psychological vulnerability to "fan
clubs"  has come about in human evolution because they employ psychological
structures which functioned at the individual level in village life but
which now create new social structures that function at the group level in
our larger societies.

We have only to explain the behavior of the celebrity her- or himself: why
anybody might be tempted to try to put ourselves in the celebrity position?
Here, multilevel selection comes into play.  While the routine function of
fan clubs might be to make groups out of strangers, for the celebrity
herself, it becomes an chance to exploit that weakness in human nature for
her own individual gain.  Any one of us who sees a chance at that
opportunity would be a fool not to try and exploit it.  Hence facebook and
"friends".

NIck

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)
http://www.cusf.org [City University of Santa Fe]

Garth