Greetings, all --

Bill McKibben probably said it best - there's no such thing as a silver bullet,
only silver buckshot. We're going to need a variety of sources for energy, and
we're going to need to be creative about efficiency and conservation. They're
not mutually exclusive. Indeed, the US could do a lot more in efficiency and
conservation - the "negawatts" approach of Amory Lovins and the RMI, for
example - and continue to fund basic research into other energy options.

A geophysicist I heard recently noted that there are three sources of energy:
solar radiation (leading to fossil fuels over time), radioactive decay
(nuclear/geothermal), and the motion of the planet. Of the three, solar
radiation appears to have the best long-term application. We need to figure out
how (no small feat, I grant you), and we'll want to use everything including
the oink, as we say in sausage-making.

- Claiborne -