I think this is metaphysics, no?

From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Steve Smith
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:44 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: [FRIAM] Epistemological Maunderings

On Primeness...

I am  mathematician by training (barely) but I don't think anyone should
listen to me about mathematics unless serendipitously I happen to land on a
useful or interesting (by whose measure?) mathematical conjecture (and
presumably some attendant proofs as well).

That said, I've always wondered why the poets among the mathematicians
didn't hit on naming the "naive" Primes (Primes+1) - Prime' (Prime prime).
Perhaps there are too many mathematicians with stutters and/or tourette's
that would be set off by such a construct?

Who can answer the question of why we (this particular group, or any one
vaguely like it) can get so wrapped up on such a simple topic?  There IS a
bit of circular logic involved in defining mathematics as that which
mathematicians study.  Or as Robert suggests, that his definition of a
mathematical construct (Prime numbers in this case) is not legitimate
because he is not a mathematician.   I'd say his definition is not useful
because it deals in concepts which are not mathematical in nature (in
particular "attractive", "shade", "blue") which are terms of interest and
relevance in aesthetics and psychophysics (both of which are known to
utilize, mathematics but not vice-versa).   Numerology, on the other hand
uses all three!

We seem to wander off into epistemological territory quite often without
knowing it or admitting to it.   I am pretty sure a number of people here
would specifically exclude epistemological discussions if they could, while
others are drawn to them (self included).

  While I do find discussions about the manipulation of matter (technology),
and even data (information theory) and the nature of physical reality
(physics) and formal logic (mathematics) quite interesting (and more often,
the myriad personal and societal impacts of same), what can be more
interesting (and the rest grounded in) than the study of knowledge itself?

That said, I don't know that many of us are well versed in the discourse of
epistemology and therefore tend to hack at it badly when we get into that
underbrush, making everyone uncomfortable.  On the other hand, I'll bet we
have a (large?) handful of contributors (and/or lurkers) here with a much
broader and deeper understanding than I have but who perhaps recognize the
futility of opening that bag of worms.

Our "core" topic of Complexity Science is fraught with epistemological
questions (I believe), most particularly questions such as "whence and what
emergence?" as Nick's seminars of 2+ years ago considered.  I don't know if
the topic was approached from the point of view of "what is the nature of
knowledge?"  or more specifically, "how can we define a new concept such as
emergence and have it hold meaning?".  In my view, "emergence" is strictly
"phenomenological" as are the many (highly useful) constructs of statistical
physics.

I promised a maunder here, I trust I succeeded in delivering!

Carry on!
 - Steve

Actually you can't define primeness any way you want. The definition needs
to be negotiated by the community of professionals who are can credibly
agree on the definition.

My definition of primeness is "anything bigger than 3 and painted an
attractive shade of blue". But no one listens to me. Nor should they,
because I'm not a mathematician.

-R

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Grant Holland <grant.holland...@gmail.com>