>Logorrhea (psychology) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logorrhea_%28psychology%29>, a communication disorder resulting in incoherent talkativeness

I picked at this one deliberately. (Apologies to Nick for accidentally suckering him into the /ReplyAll/ vs /Reply/ error we all make from time to time. I will take his appeal to discuss the details offline.)

It started with the discussion of "what means prime?". While I'm too familiar with what often feels to be pathological logorrhea, I'm also familiar with attempts to discuss topics without an existing (or consistent or apt or sufficient) frame of reference.

Scientists rarely argue with religious zealots while religious zealots are eager to argue with scientists. The argument breaks down (or never starts) because the two groups are not really talking about the same thing and apparently only one side understands that. It is my assertion that a lot of discussions that are presumed to be about technology, physical science, or even mathematics have a similar problem. Robert Holmes tried to caste some light on how it might get decided "what means Prime?"

In direct response to Doug's (rhetorical but pointed) question, "talk incessantly about it rather than doing it?": A great deal of the work of philosophy (including natural philosophy) is sorting out the questions before attempting to answer them. Sorting out the *nature* of the questions *is* the work to be done and in some sense talking (incessantly) about it is the only way to do it. In physics and engineering, asking the right question is paramount.

Plenty of folks spent huge amounts of time and energy trying to niggle out the nature of Phlogiston or Aether or the Epicycles that the planets *must* be following before someone had the temerity to consider the possibility that they were asking the wrong questions, though those very questions were more apt than the ones being asked before them.