Apparently its not so simple to achieve
"The Artificial Life of Synthetic Actors"
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.13.8387&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Lots of dynamic collisions and collision detection mechanisms floating about.

Just came across this
http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2012/06/14/cyber-security-and-the-rise-of-the-silicon-based-life-form/

"Silicon-based life forms now make short work of tasks that once took
us many man hours to accomplish. In addition to carrying crushing
computational loads without complaint, they deliver our communications
at the speed of light, transact business on our behalf and help us
more efficiently perform the tasks we still perform. We think a lot
about the way we interact with them. Few of us, however, think about
how silicon-based life forms interact with one another."