Ed-

Cutting in before Doug gets there...

It sounds like you get *all* the fun!

Maybe I should answer my phone even when I don't recognize the phone number... that is MY solution... it works amazingly well, though the false positives do irritate my friends and colleagues, though that is what voicemail, txt, e-mail, etc. are for.

My mother recently moved into an assisted living apartment and inherited the phone number that came with the apartment. The man who lived there before her apparently got scammed out of quite a bit of money (4 figures anyway) by phone and his number went out "on the wire" so she gets a *lot* of calls from these losers... she seems immune to most of it, but you never know when someone will get past her intuition... she's 86 and recently widowed. Her Scotch blood and Appalachian roots seem to be working for her so far. I don't understand why she answers the phone... a lifetime of habit I guess.

- Steve
Hanging up may not always be the best solution.

A while ago my wife was getting pornographic calls. I could tell it was the crank caller since he asked for her as Rose instead of Rose Mary. When I asked who was calling he got quite huffy and said he wasn't calling for me, he was calling for Rose. So I told him I'd get her and put the phone down. An hour later I could still hear his heavy breathing. But he finally gave up waiting and never called again.

We had a similar experience with prostitutes calling our room in Kazakstan claiming to be students studying English but that's another story and was more fun.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)an...@cs.unm.edu <mailto:an...@cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/%7Eangel>