On 6/17/13 6:24 AM, glen wrote:

Technology encourages the concentration of control in the same way that
it encourages the concentration of wealth.
In other words, if people want their privacy, then they need to work to ensure it. If we don't see them work to ensure it, then we can conclude that they don't actually want it.
Technology can also ensure privacy, e.g. strong encryption. That might lead to the technology being made illegal, e.g. "The only reason to have a radar detector is to break the law." But so long as that doesn't happen, that would be a mechanism to force use of legal process to get at content. Even identity, i.e. metadata, can be disguised using Tor.
If we don't see them work to ensure it, then we
can conclude that they don't actually want it.
I think if encryption and anonymizing techniques were made illegal, it's not even an inference, it's that people have decided not to have privacy.

Marcus