Steve, I think your experience is in line with mine. My mid-2012 "retina" MBP
(with an obscene 16GB of RAM) occasionally gets in a nearly zero free memory
state. My only really big RAM user is VMWare Fusion running Windows 7 (I
usually only give it 2GB of RAM, and it runs fine). By the time it gets in this
state, there is usually about 4GB of "inactive" memory shown in the Activity
Monitor. Doing a command line "purge" returns most of that. A full reboot,
followed by opening all the same apps and docs shows much less memory used than
before the reboot. I'm getting to be less of a "fanboi" for Apple than ever.

Gary