Steve Smith wrote at 09/13/2013 08:09 AM:
On 9/12/13 6:23 PM, glen e. p. ropella wrote:
Or do you also need [..] doping [..]
Saw this on /. this morning. http://people.umass.edu/gbecker/BeckerChes13.pdf
Yikes..
Reading this article reminded me of the following:

[...] looking for *significant* differences among the plenitude of noisy,
*insignificant* differences.

That is a fantastic paper!  But I still wonder at the practical utility of
their chosen use cases.  I can kinda grok the utility of reduced attack
complexity because you can simply produce trojans en masse and hope they
percolate into the critical sub-systems you will need/want.  But I'm too
ignorant to understand the utility of the side-channel use case.  How would the
black hat get the chip into the right place?  The same way?  By flooding the
target with chips that all contain the hidden side channel?

Whenever we depart from voluntary cooperation and try to do good by using
force, the bad moral value of force triumphs over good intentions. -- Milton
Friedman