On 9/13/13 10:02 AM, glen e. p. ropella wrote:
But I'm too ignorant to understand the utility of the side-channel use case. How would the black hat get the chip into the right place? The same way? By flooding the target with chips that all contain the hidden side channel?

Install staff at foundries that provide chips to infrastructure/software as a service companies, and then use those same companies to listen-in on the side channels to collect keys..? I've found the instrumentation underlying IPMI monitoring for monitoring cluster health to be pretty high variance, but perhaps as voltage regulators get integrated into the chip (and mobile use-cases make people very sensitive about power usage), it would be possible to observe a physical compute node's power draw from one virtual machine vs. a target's virtual machine? Spend some money signing up for all the popular cloud computing companies and go fishing for signature power variations..

Marcus