Steve writes:

< Give him credit or not, he's been willing to take on lots of
groups/subcultures fairly head-on (and many more smarmily obliquely... like the
LGBT/Latino/Black/??? communities) >

Speaking as person who deals with things head-on more than it ever benefits me,
I would say that my willingness to do that doesn't usually lead to anyone else
being willing to do that.  One might hope that by breaking the ice other people
would stop the B.S. and get to the bottom of things.   However, politicians
(and many people) see any overt offering of information in social terms.  They
first ask, "How does this information create an opportunity or a risk for me?"
Only secondarily do they examine the content of information and arguments.
Thus, it is not a necessarily a good sign when someone that has to make people
cooperate takes a direct approach.  It may just show that they lack the memory
and patience to turn over all the necessary rocks and think about how they
relate before taking action.

Marcus