Very cool, Marcus!

Did you interact with Ken Stanley (
https://scholar.google.se/citations?user=6Q6oO1MAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao) when he
was at SFI a couple years back? Ken's research would support your
observations on the importance on the pressure to maintain
novelty/diversity in evolutionary algorithms vs the focus on the objective
function.

In particular this paper:
  https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1162/EVCO_a_00025

Also, Ken's homepage:
  http://www.cs.ucf.edu/~kstanley/ with more popular book links and Santa
Fe Radio Cafe Interviews.

BTW, in the late 90's I was working a bit on evolving weights and
topologies of neural networks and was very inspired by Ken's advisor, Risto
Miikkulainen, and his team at UT Austin:
  https://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/risto/
  http://nn.cs.utexas.edu/pub-list.php

stephen.gue...@simtable.com <stephen.gue...@simtable.com>
CEO, Simtable  http://www.simtable.com
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828
twitter: @simtable