Glen,

Over 20 years ago Stuart Kauffman was in my office.  I stood up and
groaned.  He asked, "What's wrong ?"  I said that it was just arthritis.
He said, "If you're over fifty and don't feel pain it means you're dead."

Seriously, I think "the thing" that causes people to engage in the
activities/choices you list is some combination of pain, anxiety, and
depression.  The latter two almost always occur together.

Frank

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,