Extortion is illegal, no?

Apparently there are both federal and (all 50) state laws against (im)personation (to achieve gain or cause harm).   As far as I know this doesn't keep Halloween stores from selling Richard Nixon and Donald Trump masks,  but *might* have something to say if they were realistic enough to pass for *real* in casual contexts.

Extortion as in this case would be on the more extreme end of "intending harm" and "achieving gain"?   Does the (im)personation qualify as "aggravated"?

An early application of DeepFake photo/video was to generate mashup pornography  and much of that is pursued under "defamation" rules...   the same was what applied to hand-work in a film print lab and air-brush artistry.   It has added an extra degree of freedom for generating "revenge porn" as one might guess.

During Gulf War zero, LANL was developing simulation models of human vocal tracts so as to allow for on-demand deepfake audio with Saddam Hussein as the reference example (and likely prime target).  Back then digital radio/encryption were not ubiquitous. This work was declassified a decade later...  or maybe I just thought it was/should-be?

Presumably a studied voice-actor could have faked DeStefano's daughter's voice to a suitable degree for the purpose, but the lowering of thresholds seems to be what might need attention? There are lots of ways to cause dangerous explosions...  the fact that a stick of dynamite with a fuse on one end and a match make it "trivial" differentiates the need for regulations on that from say "pressure cookers" ?  I'm glad I can buy a pressure cooker without a background check and (mostly) glad that to acquire dynamite (or most other highly convenient/concentrated explosives) requires some scrutiny by my community (via the ATF, etc?).

Farmers who use both fuel oil and Ammonium Nitrate Fertilizer for their work (aka ANFO when mixed and ignited properly) are often resentful of this oversight.   I don't know that Tim McVeigh had an easier time renting a big box truck to deliver a load of same than the guy in Boston a few years ago <https://www.boston25news.com/news/how-rental-rental-trucks-have-became-a-terrorist-weapon/636149105/>?   I *do* think airliners filled with jet fuel are more respected than they were before 9/11 but then so are box-cutters...

I think most laws about "aggravated" assault/homicide/rape/??? specify "deadly weapon" of which we have a conventional range of "usual suspects" (gun, knife, poison, bludgeon) and another range of unsurprising examples (moving vehicle, etc.)  and more esoteric ones ("frozen limp noodle or drinking straw fired at high speed from a pneumatic tube" or "falling piano", or "exploding pressure cooker with failed pressure valve").

Maybe the much-feared <scare quote> _/!Nanny State!/ _</sq> will institute a new department of "Women, Fire and Dangerous Things" <https://bookshop.org/p/books/women-fire-and-dangerous-things-what-categories-reveal-about-the-mind-george-lakoff/6803422?ean=9780226468044>?