SG> Just went down a 2-hour rabbit hole on the "wave function collapse" algorithm that emerged in graphics in 2016 but just
SG>  came onto my radar... Has anyone else explored it already?
SG> https://github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse

I think I 'get' from our myriad discussions about both dual-fields and bidirectional search why you got "rabbit holed" by this...

FWIW my "associative memory" self "squinting" from 100k ft saw some near-adjacents:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashlife

        On one hand it is "memoization" up front, but it also has a
   possibility for a WFC style application for a *dynamic* landscape?

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_quantization

        SOFMs seem like an apt near-adjacent to what you are maundering on?

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_(machine_learning)

   The Text-Image transformers of DALL-E (et alia) seem to be a softer
   version of the constraint business?

I may be overgeneralizing or missed the focus of your fascination?

mumble,

 - Steve

Many of you have written versions of constraint propagation algorithms in one form or another. I like how this is framed by satisfying local constraints with tiles (forward) and global constraints with overlaps (backward propagation).  Of course, the name of the algorithm may be metaphorical to QM as is its use of superposition for local stacks of possible states, but I can't help wonder how Wheeler-Feynman Absorber Theory or Cramer's Transactional Interpretation might be cast as similar kinds of the same algorithm.

more general applications:
https://robertheaton.com/2018/12/17/wavefunction-collapse-algorithm/

always like Dan Shiffman's Coding Train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI_y2GAlQFM

https://github.com/avihuxp/WaveFunctionCollapse#demo

A nice interactive to get the feel for it:
https://oskarstalberg.com/game/wave/wave.html

A version in Julia :
https://github.com/roberthoenig/WaveFunctionCollapse.jl/blob/master/usage.ipynb

-S

stephen.gue...@simtable.com
stephengue...@fas.harvard.edu
Harvard Visualization Research and Teaching Lab <https://hwpi.harvard.edu/eps-visualization-research-laboratory/home>
mobile: (505)577-5828

Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p
Zoomhttps://bit.ly/virtualfriam
FRIAM-COMIChttp://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
archives:  5/2017 thru presenthttps://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
   1/2003 thru 6/2021http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/