Thanks for the links to the predictive coding paper and the mirror mech survey. What
continues to drive my skepticism, even for the weaker "mirror mechanism"
hypothesis is stated well in a perspective on the recent brain cell atlas:

"There is no single prototypical human; a spectrum of differences in genetic
variation and environmental response exists both in healthy individuals and in disease
states." https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adk4857

This seems to be mirrored (no pun intended, but I have to admit I'm abusing the
word) in fMRI results we're studying for chronic pain. There seems to be
reliable and precise regularity between multiple fMRI results in any given
individual, but wildly variant results across individuals. I'm not very close
to the data, though. So it's hearsay. But if it holds, then what drives our
fanatical motive to say things like this about, say, all humans? Or all
primates? Etc. Maybe *you* have a mirror mechanism that helps you learn stuff.
But maybe *I* do not? Or maybe some of our brains are simply very different
from others of our brains.

And how big would the experimental trial have to be in order to establish
"neurotypicality" beyond so-called common sense or heuristic guessing?

It's not unrelated to the argument about downward causation. Social context grooms us to
adhere to various intersubjective patterns and the brain may be plastic enough to
instantiate those patterns with a variety of different mechanisms. You only get hints at
that vast "robustness" (same phenomenon, multiple generators) when you reach an
edge case, a phenomenal quality that one machine can generate but another can't. Any 2
mechanisms (or brain wirings, or brain cell type population distributions) are merely
similar, never identical. They simulate each other.

OCEAN is, I think, the most scientifically justified of the personality estimators; and it's not
even *that* justified. But we often talk about some people being more open to new experiences and
others being more focused on threat. E.g. if you're lucky enough to travel as a kid, you're more
likely to be socially groomed to discover/engineer your brain wiring mechanism so that your machine
*covers* more phenomena than would have been covered had you never traveled and sat comfy in your
small world of limited grooming. The same might be said of, say, physicists vs. biologists. The
biologist might (maybe) learn mechanisms that extend empathy to, say, bugs or fish or ... whatever,
where the physicist may (maybe) learn mechanisms that extend empathy to machines, planets,
galaxies, or whatever mechanistic (i.e. "lawful", "law-like") phenomena that
groom them.

And, as with Roger's link to Stross' argument, if you groom yourself with
fiction, maybe you're building mechanisms that align more with fiction than
with fact. And I'm guessing vice versa.