I was thinking more like judges and prosecutors than about celebrities.

They seem to be the ones who look back at the snarling dog and say I deal with mobsters every day.  Get out of my way; I have a job to do.

touche'

   .... says a lot that I jumped to the conclusion that you might be
   implying that it would be a "head of state" who might be responsible
   for holding that line.  Partly all the talk about the implications
   to democracy of a Biden/Trump choice for that role.

   I don't know if high-profile prosecutors and lifetime appointees to
   the highest courts are more celebrity or functionary, but  I do
   believe that a wide variety of functionaries at many levels have
   been holding a line that the usual suspect heavy hitters (elected
   representatives of all ilk) have been letting slip.

   The current anti-T rhetoric seems to be focused on how much more
   sophisticated his strategy (or more to the point that of the abscess
   that is (re)forming/growing around him) is likely to be at cleaning
   out the immune system that held the line last time/so-far.
   Probably lots of excess meaning in the immune system metaphor, but
   we do seem to be severely compromised... and by we I think I mean
   western culture nearly across the board?

   I don't let much of this imagery in, but the few snippets of Bannon
   and MTG and their ilk holding rallys/events is very disturbing.  I
   don't  see the likes of Steven Miller and Roger Stone showing up on
   *my* radar, but I'm guessing they are out there not far below the
   surface if at all.

   Which reminds me of the Kate McKinnon depiction of Kellyanne.
   Without husband George jostling her elbow daily she might raise her
   game a bit more?

   Kellywise

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlt3rA-oDao

We've been watching/reading quite a bit of  20th century political history of late (Truman's Biography, Crown  TV series, Ukraine/Stalin in the 30's- holodomor,  etc) and one of the things that strikes me most is how extreme of alternatively disruptive and coherency-focused behaviour people of influence have mustered (not restricted to c20, just my current focus/interest) and how divergent the ensemble of possible world historical arcs has

Interesting times...

- Steve

PS.  I have romantic/nostalgic ideas about lighthouses myself, but i'm not sure that shuttering the last one has any significant practical implications, while the shuttering of our various democratic institutions still seems pretty significant to me... like shuttering said lighthouses before sonar/radar/radio.