The argument seems pretty clear to me. "Officer" is jargonal, not intuitive.
Were I to read it charitably, I'd agree. Appointees are not elected. Electees should have
more leeway than appointees ... like the difference between an elected Sheriff and her
deputies. But like all dichotomies, this one is a bit false, especially given that the
[Vice]Presidents aren't really elected at all. The Electoral College process feels more
like a complicated appointment mechanism than an election.

Anyway, everything that document says is monastery quality sophistry. Were the "rule
of law" actually like an axiomatic system, running it forward from start to finish
would be formal and automatic. But it's just not that formal. It's cafeteria/buffet
style; you can make anything you want out of it. Beware the monks claiming it's axiomatic
... and that they alone are qualified to turn the crank.

FWIW, I'm not familiar with Tillman. But Blackman's positions are one reason I
unsubscribed from the Volokh Conspiracy RSS feed: cf.
https://reason.com/people/josh-blackman/

At first, I read many of his posts with as much charity as I could. (Analyses
and opinions, not so much the historical ones. He's a competent scholar.) Then
I started skipping over them most of the time and focusing on the other posters
that were more reason-able (Ha!). Then I finally couldn't take it anymore and
removed the feed. [sigh] I'm not proud of that. My charity muscles are
fatigued. Blackman's opinions feel, to me, similar the Johns' (Yoo and Rizzo)
legal justification for waterboarding. It all makes me a bit queasy.

p.s. Here's a more reliable link:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3978095