IDK. It seems like ecDNA, in general, can be either good or bad. And mitochondrial
DNA feels like a boon, overall. Maybe a better analogy would be ecDNA <-> media
and MAGA to the oncogenes being promoted. I think a useful foil for stressing the
analogy is the difference between a filter bubble and an echo chamber. If we define a
filter bubble as the sieve through which the ambience extrudes and an echo chamber as
an agent-oriented selection bias, we can classify MAGA cult members as victims
(incompetent consumers of media) and perpetrators. The perpetrators might be like the
Federalist Society, where they seek echoes of their beliefs and put them in power. Or
they might be like Joe Rogan, where they promote/amplify toxic materials they find in
the wild. The latter seem like trans-acting ecDNA ... and Rachel Maddow might be
similar to Joe Rogan in that sense, only considered toxic based on what they promote,
not promotion in itself. The former seem like oncogenes. The rest, like some random
soccer mom at the Jan 6 riot, don't seem like either of those to me.