Waldek,

As I said before, I'm not suggesting that the reference documentation tries to teach the mathematics but I do think it should allow potential users to match the mathematics to the code. I think my ideal would be to allow both short and long explanations in the '++' comments.

Try to look at this from the point of view of a potential new user:

    convert : (List(S), List(FreeGroup(S))) -> GroupPresentation
      ++ convert(lg, lr) builds group presentation from list
      ++ of generators \spad{lg} and list of relations \spad{lr}.

Is it really as obvious as you suggest what this does?
If I was a potential new user and I was scanning through lots of files and lots of functions and I had a quick scan of the above my first guess would be that it might be adding a list of relations to a free group. Especially as a new user they might not know how the domains are defined (is an instance an element of the group or the whole group). So the user has to do all this work when they don't even know if this is a function they are looking for.

I think the explanation of this code that you gave earlier in this thread is excellent but you seem determined to hide it away where new users cant find it.

Martin