Just a silly question: have you looked why the image is so big?

Just a proposal. What about putting moderately sized smooth pictures into the book and high resolution pics at some place in the web and make to book only pointing to these online pictures, in particular those probably hand-crafted pictures that appear in the middle of the Jenks&Sutor book? We should be able to not just scan, but generate those pictures. Unfortunately, I don't think that I have yet seen the actual commands that produced them.

Ralf