On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 09:21:17PM +0800, Qian Yun wrote:

> On 4/16/24 22:38, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
> >
> > Just a silly question: have you looked why the image is so big?
> > Your new image is 6.7M and bigger than scanned version (4.3M).
> > Old knot3.ps is 77k lines giving 1.1M size.  At first glance
> > adding color to this could double or maybe triple the size.
> > .pdf uses compression, compressed knot3.ps is 153k.  So
> > I would expect .pdf of order 0.5M.
> >

> Update on image size:
>
> The 3D "smooth" style is pixel-for-pixel bitmap.
> So for colored knot3 image (400x400):
> ps is 2.1MB
> xpm is 320KB
> pdf is 208KB (converted from ps)
> png is 28KB (converted from xpm)
>

> The only difference/advantage of PS format is that it has
> vector font (for x/y/z, title, etc).
>
> So if the image have no axes and no title, just colored pixels,
> we can use png format.

OK, so it looks that for Postscript "shade" is really preferable.
Still, bitmapped color "smooth" is better than b/w or not working
at all.

Concerning FriCAS book, I do not think that we must follow old
version.  Rather, we want to have good looking examples and
have samples of various formats/options, but we can use
different pictures.

There is one extra thing: it would be good to be able to generate
all documentation without X11.  Currently bitmap generation works
by first drawing on X window and then grabbing from X server the
resulting bitmap.  This fails without X server.  Vector formats
should alow direct generation (currently even vector Postscript
depends on X for color calculations, but that should be not
too hard to eliminate).