On Sun, May 05, 2024 at 09:55:38PM +0800, Qian Yun wrote:

> On 5/5/24 00:09, Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> > > I've never met this before.
> >
> > I have written about it in messsage titled "Races in graphics".
>
> I can't find this message.  Is this the recent reply to
> "remove sleep to speed up draw" thread or an older mail?

For some reason it did not get to the list, I have re-sent it.

> > This is not a new thing and core reason is not due to your patch.
> > Simply, your patch affects timing and _maybe_ increased probabilty
> > of this happening.  Or maybe the hang is just bad luck.
> >
> > This 100% cpu usage is principle should be not very hard to
> > eliminate, but involves some tedious work.  And before doing
> > this work it would be good to know what Wayland folks are going to
> > break.
> >

> Regarding wayland, I believe XWayland will continue to provide
> compatibility.  I've being using wayland for a long time and
> hit no problems so far.

Common sense says that there should be good compatiblity for many
years.  But new "cool" trend is to break things, so I am not
sure.  IIUC 'xnest' is incombatible with Wayland.  'xvfb' seem to
be derivative of 'xnest' so that potentially may be broken
(more precisely, if/when 'xnest' is broken IMO there is risk that
'xvfb' will be no longer updated and may bitrot).

One possible way to improve our graphics is to use Xt.  Xt is basic
X11 toolkit (some other toolkits are built on top of Xt).  But,
it is not clear how long Xt will be maintained.  Note: I do not
think there is worry in the next few years.  However, we are
using code that is 30 years old and preferably improved code
should live longer.