Good news for everyone:

The Kubuntu 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope RC is out now. If nothing special happens, this RC will be identical to the official version which will be released in one week.

What's new in Kubuntu 9.04:
* KDE 4.2.2 (The first KDE version that doesn't suck!)
* Qt 4.5: First LGPL Qt!
* Fast booting!
* ext4: You don't have to wait 2 minutes each time it checks your disks.
* DigiKam for your picture editing and management needs
* AmaroK 2!

It's a pity we don't have kernel modesetting like Fedora 11, which I absolutely felt in love with, but you can compile and install it yourself (however I don't think it will be easy.) The deal about kernel modesetting is that you don't have to run X as a superuser anymore. Cosmetically switching between VT is super fast and the screen no longer flicks while starting up or shutting down.

I have a mirror of the Kubuntu 9.04 alternative image at
http://htruong.truman.edu/iso/ (on-campus only)

As I'm writing this message, the download is not finished yet but will complete very soon. Make sure you don't see a .rc file in my iso directory - if you see one that means it's not completed yet.

- Huan T.